I owe a lot to many people, games, and books. This game wouldn’t exist without the following games:
- Apocalypse World, by D. Vincent and Meguey Baker
- Psi*Run, by Meguey Baker
- Masks: a New Generation, by Brendan Conway
- Monsterhearts, by Avery Alder
Thanks also to Zoe Bloom for “how to spot a scene end”.
I also owe not just the authors and designers above, but a number of people in my life who have listened to me talk about, fret about, and dream about this game for far too long, and have provided a lot of useful advice and input when I needed it:
- Allie McCarthy, who has given me infinite patience and enthusiasm.
- Julie Pearson, who put in the effort to make sure I could get over the finish line.
- Kate Ridgeway, who helped me maintain the endurance I needed.
- Brie Sheldon, who suggested to me that when one and three had failed, I could try two.
- Austin Bookheimer, who was always there when I needed to try out a system.
- Paul Beakley, who helped me tear down complexity and check my assumptions.
- Khaled Allen, who showed me what the game could do if it led people out of their comfort zones.
- Amir Touray, who helped me sail out of home waters and into something deeper and stranger.
Finally, I owe some books a great debt. These include:
- Jane Austen, Game Theorist, by Michael Chwe
- A Jane Austen Education, by William Deresiewicz
- Jane Austen, the Secret Radical by Helena Kelly
- What Matters in Jane Austen, by John Mullan
- All of the works of Jane Austen herself
- And finally and most importantly, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and The Ladies of Grace Adieu, by Susanna Clarke
I hope this game inspires you.